Monday, October 08, 2007

Ideas=Daughters.

(click image to better read)
For years, David (small "t") Jones's back of AdWeek cartoon panel "Ad Land" has been a "must read" for ad folk. This week, he compares having ideas mutilated by a Focus Group to having one's daughter brutally killed...
HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHA (found in a ditch) HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA (shot and beaten) HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
update:
Mr. Jones responds to my intellectual criticism in the comments.
previously in ad sycophancy:
1. ANDYs promoted with Anilingus.
2. Y&R thanks me for screwing you.
3. His salary is about 6 bucks/second.
4. kb+p creatives fellate founders penises.
on Gawker:
BBDO: neither B stands for Bloated.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last I heard, Jones works at Draft/FCB Chicago, so his perspective on anything has to be a bit fucked up.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tasteless, perhaps. Derivative, certainly.

Paul Schrader, in his lectures on screenwriting, would compare the revision process to that of "killing your babies".

Learning not to be too precious about your work is an essential part of this game if you are seeking to retain some sanity. So I'm sure that both Schrader and Jones would accept some humble criticism of their metaphor's sensitivity.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey copyranter. I've been a fan of your blog for a while now and I was happy to see one of my cartoons posted. But it seems that I've offended a bit with it. Here is my take on it.

I was comparing myself to Sean Penn acting in a movie, NOT to someone who has just found out that their daughter has been killed. I guess I made that leap too easily for some people's taste. I had just read an article about Mr. Penn and how they had to pile more and more actors/cops on him when they shot that scene because he was so full of method acting rage.

Ideas ARE our metaphoric children, and to the point that Anonymous#2 made via Paul Schrader about "killing your babies", it can be tough to see them harmed, hassled or at worst, killed. All that said, I wouldn't actually compare a TV storyboard to a human life. I mean, unless it was a really good spot, like for Nike or something.

As for Anonymous #1's comment that my perspective is fucked up, to that I'd probably have to agree. Isn't EVERYONE in advertising a little fucked up? Isn't that part of the job description?
The only defensive thing I'd say is that unlike them, I put my name next to my criticisms.

-David t Jones

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home